This post is part of the blog series – crystal magick. In this post Obsidian is discussed, properties are listed and magickal uses are also touched upon. Please note that this post may contain affiliate links. For more information about what this means, please click here.
Obsidian is a naturally occurring volcanic glass that is formed from molten lava cooling too quickly. So even though we call it a crystal or a gemstone, it is a glass. Archeologists have dated Obsidian being used as blades and arrowheads as long as 7,000 years ago. The first found written recordings of Obsidian were in the times of the Romans.
It is said that before glass was invented, black obsidian was polished and used as the first mirrors. As it is a glass it can shatter, be sharp, and is easily scratched. It is safe to use in water and can be placed in direct sunlight without damage occurring. In fact, it is said that you can cleanse Obsidian by placing it under running fresh or saltwater, moonlight, or sunlight.
There are other types of Obsidian that will be covered at a later date. For this correspondence, we are focusing on black Obsidian.
Obsidian is listed as both earth and fire elements depending on who you ask. For this reason, it is felt that it should be categorised as both. The planetary correspondence is Saturn and Obsidian is linked to the Scorpio and Sagittarius zodiac signs.
Obsidian corresponds with the root chakra and is known as being linked with both Lughnasadh and Samhain in the wheel of the year.
- Highly protective
- Known as the truth stone
- Reveals what is hidden
- Removes negative energy
- Embodies volcanic energy
- Use a disk or sphere as a scrying tool
- Sleep with Obsidian next to your bed to draw out negative energy as you sleep
- Wear daily as a protective amulet
- Use an Obsidian blade in rituals to cut unwanted links between people.
- Meditate with it at your root chakra to ground yourself
- Meditate with it to see your inner truth and do shadow work.
- Carry with you when seeking the truth from people.
- Use in spell bags and bottles for spells involving; protection, grounding, truth magick, and divination.